Time seemed to stop on Wednesday, January 6, 2021. No matter how you voted, most of us can agree life has not been “normal” since then.
While the damage inflicted that day was far less than the carnage which destroyed cities across the nation this summer, the media and politicians seem fixated on that day. It’s like an odd groundhog phenomenon where everything seems to hinge on those few hours of that one day.
While the event was disturbing and dangerous, multiple reports suggest that it was planned and/or proper security to avoid the disruption was denied. We covered some of the evidence that contradicted the early narrative that the Capitol breach was planned by rally attendees in an earlier article. Now, officials are speaking out.
Steven Sund, outgoing chief of the U.S. Capitol Police (USCP), says House and Senate security officials rejected or slow-walked multiple requests by the agency to call in the National Guard for assistance on Jan. 6.
Sund told The Washington Post in an interview published on Jan. 10 that, in the days leading up to the Jan. 6 incident in which protesters and rioters breached the Capitol building and committed acts of violence, he had asked House and Senate security officials to let him request that the D.C. National Guard be put on standby.
He told the outlet that the officials denied or postponed his requests six times.
In another article, the Epoch Times says, “Former President Donald Trump offered to deploy 10,000 National Guard troops in Washington D.C. prior to Jan. 6, the day of the Capitol building breach, according to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.”
As more evidence comes out, more questions emerge as to why the events of that day transpired. The original narrative is falling apart. Given that the current impeachment trial is predicated on the events of that day, proponents of impeachment are looking petty and incompetent at best–and possibly even disingenuous.