By SherrieEngler-Artist. @SherrieEngler
My twitter thread on ballots in Georgia.
- As a Graphic Designer with a degree, I didn’t understand why so many ballots were spit out as unreadable by the voting machines on November 3rd. But after watching Jovan Pulitzers testimony today in Georgia I now completely understand. Let me explain..
- As a graphic designer all elements/layers of my design must line up in order to print on the paper properly. Otherwise it can put out blurred images on the final product at the printing shop. The printing machines follow something put on my art/documents
- called “Registration Marks”. Every student in Graphic Designer in college is stressed that these are never to be off or you are wasting the printers time and the clients time. Which is very bad, graphic designers get fired for this.
- Back in the old days when we did this work by hand it was easy to make these mistakes, before the computers…I’m dating myself here because that’s when I started…before computers. Now I design everything on computers that go to a printer.
- On computer software, say photoshop for example, we no longer make these mistakes because the software sets all registration marks electronically every time in every layer of our art/document. In Mr. Pulitzers testimony he points out that
- the Registration Marks (he called bullseye/target) are not lined up in the predominantly Republican areas voters voting papers. And he shows you that the Democratic areas voters voting papers are perfectly accurate Registration Marks. See below
- You can see the Republican areas voter documents were off on the Registration Marks. Very off. Because these are documents meant to be scanned by a counter, those bad Registration Marks will toss the document out as uncountable.
- Why was this print run allowed to proceed? Any print manager would have seen this in the printers proof and rejected the print run. How did the Registration Marks get misaligned?
- Who printed these ballots? I have more that a few questions for them, like who designed these Republican areas ballots? Why weren’t they corrected? Why are the missing barcodes on the Democrat ballots? I can think of many more questions. I bet you can too.
- I bet I’m not the only Graphic Designer out there today to make this connection finally to the tabulation machines rejection rates now.
- Jovan Pulitzer’s testimony today if you want to watch.